How does Cheaper Energy Together work?
The concept is simple. Energy bills are really expensive for everyone. As individual households we have no power to negotiate. But by negotiating together in large numbers, we have the power to get a cheaper, fairer deal. People switching together like this is known as collective switching.
Cheaper Energy Together is a national, not-for-profit partnership of community organisations, charities and local authorities, dedicated to helping people get lower electricity and gas bills.
(February 2016) Our latest Collective Switch is coming soon
You will need to sign up to get news of our next offer which will come out in mid February 2016. As you can see from the explanation below it is no obligation and 100% free.
We are offering £10 per fuel cashback whether you switch by internet or phone (Ofgem had said that all cashback were supposed to end by October 23nd – however, it seems that Ofgem have allowed cashback incentives to remain till December 31st 2013. This has been extended again (August 2014) and is currently being investigated by the Competition and Marketing Authority investigation into the UK energy market). If this situation changes we will have to stop the cashback offer with no notice.
In a nutshell
Collective switching is really simple:
- Households register their interest, it is completely free and there is no obligation.
- We ask energy companies to offer their cheapest possible deal to the thousands who have signed up.
- We show you the best offer(s) alongside how it compares with your current deal, as well as the other alternatives available on the market.
- We will tell you how long you have to decide whether to accept the offer. If you accept it, your details will be passed onto the energy company you choose, and all you need to do is complete the agreement.
What do you need to do
Want cheaper energy?
- It’s free
- No obligation
- No risk
- Sign up – It takes 5 minutes, its free and there is no commitment to do anything.
- Spread the word – Cheaper Energy Together only works if lots of people sign up; the more people, the stronger our bargaining power with energy companies. So we need you to spread the word. Phone your mum, text your friends, email your colleagues, post it on facebook, or tweet all about it.
- Sit tight – We will carry on signing people up for an auction early in March. We will then send you the best offers, with the info you need to find the right deal for you.
- Switch and save, or do nothing if the offer isn’t right for you.
At no point will you be left without electricity and gas when you switch your supplier.
Who can take part?
Any domestic energy customer from England, Scotland or Wales with mains gas and/or mains electricity. This includes households:
- On dual fuel
- Using mains gas or main electricity
- Using pre-payment meters
- On a fixed deal (though you will have to consider any penalties that might be in your contract)
To find out more about collective switching please go to our FAQ page.
The Cheaper Energy Together Community Partnership will be open to all UK households, but will have a particular focus on those facing fuel poverty, and those who have not switched before. Residents will be able to sign up online, on the phone, or at a series of local events over the next two months which will be led by our experienced local community and voluntary groups and charities.
We’re not in it for the money
Community Interest Company
- Social enterprise
- Working for you and your community
All organisations involved are not-for-profit. The switching service will be completely free to consumers and a small referral fee will be charged to energy suppliers of between £5 and £8 per switch (far less than the industry average of £40-£70 per switch). All referral fees will contribute to the cost of running the initiative, no profits will be made. We will be completely transparent on referral fees charged to energy companies and publish our fees on this website. Throughout 2014 our referral fee to energy suppliers has been fixed at £5 per fuel switched
To find out more about the Cheaper Energy Together Community Partnership visit our About page.
The small print
Only it’s written in plain English and it’s not small. thePeoplesPower is a not-for-profit Community Interest Company – so any profits beyond running costs will be invested in good causes. We won’t be selling your contact details without your permission. See our terms and conditions. If you have any questions please contact us.